Monday, February 07, 2011

Too Cute to Breath

C-Pap Machine
About five years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea ( not getting enough oxygen while sleeping and tired during waking hours). I had to use a c-pap machine to help me breath while I sleep. At the time I was living in Ohio alone. I was so tired and sleep deprived I would have done anything to get some real rest. So, I used the c-pap every time I went to sleep, and it worked. Within a few weeks I felt rested when I woke up. It was great. Especially, since no one had to see me wearing it, except my daughter when she came to visit.

Then about 4 years ago I met Mr. Angie. We dated long distance for a year because he lived in Louisiana, and as I said before I was living in Ohio. When he'd come up there to visit for weekends I would forgo using the c-pap, because I would look like this :


And that was not the look I was going for, even though my mask looked more like this:

You get the picture. NOT CUTE!

I used the c-pap less and less between his visits, and pretty soon I convinced myself that I didn't need it any more. Yep, I was healed! I moved back to Louisiana almost two years ago, and my c-pap has been in the box I packed it in ever since. I became preggers after being home for only a few months. Subsequently, I had terrible nausea and vomiting the entire time. I couldn't stand to smell anything! So there was no hooking my self up to that plastic smell. And I was too sick to care if I was sleepy or not.

Well here we are today, and I don't give a damn about being cute! I need some rest. I went to the doctor today. He examined me and scheduled me for a sleep study. Which I will be happily attending. (A night away from the baby and an Ambian, thank you Lord!) I'll probably have to get a new c-pap because they've been upgraded a few times since I got the old one. 

I showed Mr. Angie how I look wearing the sleep mask and you know what, he was like, "Girl, ain't nothing wrong with that thing - you betta put it on so yo ass can breath!" Aww, isn't he sweet? And rest assured no c-pap face mask or tubes will stop him from trynna git some. o_0

Anyway, I got my mind right. I am not too cute to breath.  

No comments: