Thursday, October 06, 2011

Say My Name, Say My Name......



Did you know that somewhere someone is calling you by a moniker that is not your own? They may even be referring to you by the clothes you wear, your hairstyle or the car you drive. Sometimes they know your real name sometimes they don’t.

One of my friend’s moved to a new neighborhood a few years ago. Her next door neighbor is fair skinned black guy with long wavy black hair that he wears in two pony tails down his back. So we named him Pocahontas…….you see the connection. We’ve even shortened it to just “Poke.” It’s gotten so bad my friend’s husband called him Poke to his face. It just slipped out, “Hey Poke, what’s up?” LOL The guy never even noticed.

In college one of my friends had a crush on a guy, but we didn’t know his name so we called him “Maxima Man” because he drove a Maxima. I don’t think we ever found out his real name because he had no interest in my friend. at. all.  Latter we found out we should’ve been calling him “Gay Maxima Man.”

There was also a really tall skinny guy who lived in the dorm next dorm. We called him “Noodle Man.” When we saw the really tall skinny girl he was dating, we dubbed her “Noodle Woman.”

Someone else I know was kind of dating a guy who was about fifteen years her senior. We referred to him as “Old Fella.” She’d say, “I went to eat bar-b-que with Old Fella last night” and we thought nothing of it.

It’s really easy to slip up and call someone by their nickname to their face. So be careful. And if someone says “Hi” to you and there’s a weird tag attached to it……you just found out your nickname.    “Hi, Perch Lips!”

2 comments:

M.O. said...

I think it's perfectly normal to donate a nickname actually it sort of comes natural. I suspect folks have deemed me with some as I have them...with many. For example we call our director Count Chocula because she is dark complexioned and wears a pink cardigan or cape even, tied around her neck in the middle of summer. She earned the name. We have a Figgy Puddin, a 1-8-7, a Paul Bunyan, a Chucky (the doll), Wigameena, Rance Allen,..I really can go on! All of which folks I work with and the question comes to mind...I wonder what people call me? Hmmmmm

campaign sign said...

This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last week